Wednesday, July 28, 2010

LGBT friendly hospitals/doctors, in Chicago? Or just some plain old advice.?

Hello All. I am a M to F transsexual. I have been dealing with some GI problems, for awhile. Thankfully, I am extremely passable. By the same token, because of this, when I walk into an emergency room, seeking help; they ask me a series of non-applicable questions (menstrual, are you pregnant?). I am left paralyzed with fear, when it comes to telling them the truth. I KNOW I should tell them, because by not doing so, I am omitting medical history. I am just so afraid of being discriminated against. LOL. You should see me, when they ask me, about doing a pelvic examination. I have to vehemently tell them, my ';vaginal'; area is fine. LOL. But really, all jokes aside; I want the best care, and I know I am slighting myself; I'm just scared to tell them. Does anyone know of any LGBT friendly places, or anyone have any advice for me? Any is welcome.





Thanks.LGBT friendly hospitals/doctors, in Chicago? Or just some plain old advice.?
LOL. Most doctors and nurses that have been practicing for a while have seen many of our kind. I would not be too worried about it. They are doctors and in my experience they are the most open to trannys. The nurse that I spoke with yesterday about giving blood knew right off the bat when he saw the t blocker medication I am on. He was very nice to me and each of the doctors that I have seen have been the same. There are directories online that have glbt friendly doctor but really I think that most doctors will do. Out of curiosity though what does GI mean?LGBT friendly hospitals/doctors, in Chicago? Or just some plain old advice.?
Do a search for ';transgender + chicago'; to find your local community. You can ask them who they would recommend or avoid. It's also a good way to find a supportive group. It sounds like you could use some friends. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment