Thursday, August 19, 2010

I would like opinions/advice on choosing a dog breed. I have been researching for ';kid friendly/tolerant';

breeds and the most popular breeds happen to also possess traits I know I cannot handle:


1)Goldens/Labs are AWESOME, but require way, way more exercise than I am able to give. 2)Powerful, larger dogs tend to be extremely good with kids but do require, from what I've read, experienced, confident owners who can harness their strength and smarts and turn out a well-trained, happy dog. I am NOT a dominant personality type and I will not be able to show enough dominance to properly train such a dog. I need a happy-go-lucky dog that is happily submissive %26amp; will GLADLY accept other dogs/ppl visiting. My kids are quite gentle with dogs (grew up around grandma's maltese%26amp;chihuahua) and they are NOT AT ALL physically rambunctious. But our house is noisy-very high ceilings+3 kids+tv's..etc. My mildy-autistic son flaps his hands-A LOT. Might all this drive a sensitive breed crazy? Finally, I am a stay-at-home-mom, so I'll always be w/our dog. Thanks so much for any advice.I would like opinions/advice on choosing a dog breed. I have been researching for ';kid friendly/tolerant';
You must check into getting a shitzu. They are terriffic. Happy go lucky,..gental,..snorts,...snores,...ver鈥?affectionate and loves to play games. very energetic but will tire themselves out by running in circles. They are just awesome. I love mine,...his name is fuzzbug.I would like opinions/advice on choosing a dog breed. I have been researching for ';kid friendly/tolerant';
cocker spaniels are the perfect dog they are so loving and also are good with kids they are loyal and do not aquire a lot of attention when you think of cocker spaniel you think of lady with lots of hair my dogs do not have lots of hair and are full blood cockers i highly recommend them for you they are also very smart and are very patient
choose a pomeranian. lovely dogs. i have one of my own. they seem a little perky when the noise level's too high though, so i dont know ... because you said your house his noisey... i guess it depends how noisey it is. if its constantly noisey i guess it can get used to it, but if its just sudden things, that might frighten it
Female huskies aren't too big, but tend to be dominant dogs so you might not like that. Beagles are very friendly but are very active. I think a golden retreiver would be great for you. Perhaps a cocker spaniel? Here, try this site, it might help you find a good match.


http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/
hello,





A schnauzer is the perfect dog they come in 3 sizes and 3 colours i have a salt and pepper mini!


I think that the schnauzer is a dog that matches your description. They are about $1000-$1500 each. They are a very friendly dog and LOVE kids.


Hope i helped!
If your kids are used to your grandmother's small dogs, then why not check into some of the toy breeds?





Any breed can be tolerant of children if properly trained and socialized around them. I know of someone who had Chinese Cresteds with her autistic children.
We have Yorkies and English Bulldogs...........both are awesome with our four year old daughter!
As both a breeder and lover of dogs, my personal choice is the Miniature Pincher or Min-Pin for short.


While a small breed they have a lot of energy and when raised with children and other pets they are very adaptive. They can be a bit clingy to one person but they are very social dogs as well.


I also recommend them for people with allergies as they seem to be one of the few breeds that do not cause a lot of allergy suffering.


I know a lady that has a child with severe autism that says the Min-Pin she bought from me is a blessing in that the dog is very careful and watchful around her daughter and also very vocal when the daughter is about to get in trouble.


On the whole I feel that Min-Pins are the best small dog going and perhaps the best all around dog to have.


I also should mention that the American Mutt makes a good dog for just about anybody.


Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Pit bulls [ the nanny dogs ] are great family dogs.


I've been at a dog rescue with a majority of them


being Pit bulls and not once out of the 3 years


has a Pit bull bit me. Especially when you get


them as puppies and train them since then they


will become very obedient, loving dogs. Also,


their loyalty to its owner is outstanding, this breed


of dog is known for always obeying. But you always


hear about the bad stories on the new and how they


attack people, but they dont bother telling you the REAL


reason why the dog attacked [usually because of territory


or them being harrassed]. I personally love the breed and


many other people do too. So give them a chance if you'd


really want a dog to be fun, caring, and trust worthy.
If you don't mind a small breed, Havanese are VERY good with kids, tolerant, outgoing and, for a toy breed, sturdy!


They don't need lots of excersize, a romp with the kids or a toy thrown up and down the hallway or a leisurely walk is just fine with them. They are not snappy or clingy, they are really wonderfull little dogs, and cute too!


Mine are thriving in a houseful of teenagers, Afghan hounds, loud husbands, drum sets and cats that are bigger than they are! If you would like more info you can contact me from my profile.
A Labrador is still your best bet.


You will have to be the ';dominant'; pack leader no matter what dog you get. They need training, supervision and exercise.


You will need to teach your dog basic obedience or have someone teach him for you. Maybe you could hire a dog walker if you can't do more than 1 hour a day?





We have 2 Labs. From the time they were pups we played with them inside and did potty breaks outside with about 30 minutes of actual playtime. They are 95 and 69 lbs each. Both are well behaved around other people and animals. They do like trying to jump up and lick if you don't stop them. Otherwise, they are perfectly happy. You've got kids and your home all the time so you can still play with him inside. Not all dogs have to have outside play. For outside play with a Lab I'd suggest a water hose, frisbee, ball or small pool. That could be your hour of playtime.
STAY AWAY FROM SMALL TOY BREEDS THEY ARE MORE AGGRESSIVE! GO TO PETFINDER.COM and HeLp A DoG In NeEd!Go to petfinder.com and search there! type in the breed age and type of animal you want and where you live! SAVE A DOG IN NEED! ITS EASY WITH PETFINDER! THEY FIND A DOG IN NEED CLOSEST TO WHERE YOU LIVE! THEY GIVE DETAILS AND MANY TIMES HAVE SOGS THAT ARE GREAT WITH KIDS! if you continue to buy dogs from breeders then they will force the momma and daddy dogs to make more and more and more puppies until the mother dog can only have one at a time and then what happens to the mother? Well lets see she either gets dumped off on the side of a road left to starve orrr they will put her up for adoption,,,,,I HATE DOG BREEDERS!
While I don't know of any particular dog that would be good around children with autism, growing up we had a English Springer Spaniel who was so mild mannered and loving that she would even let the cats curl up and sleep with her. Never once did I ever witness her being aggressive except in once incident where I was about 9 or so a man claiming to be the ';meter reader'; came up to me in the front yard and she went into a growling and teeth barring frenzy. It is our familys belief that she sensed something and would have fought tooth and nail to protect me.. I would recommend her breed to anyone with kids... however they do tend to have longer hair and need to be groomed. Good Luck!
have you ever thought about an English or an Olde English bulldog. Great with kids, not hyper, couch potatoes, low exercise. these guys don't bounce off the wall they don't like jogging, they love kids and all pets. They are very eager to please. And they will keep you laughing with their comical faces and personalities. Research them a little you I think you will love what you see.
I would think hard about a mutt :)


We have what we believe to be a chow/lab mix (aka mutt) and he is the best natured dog you could ever ask for! A two year old could drag him around the house all day by his tail and he would be in heaven just to have a buddy lol


Here is an example of the things he will tolerate (he is the brown one on the bottom lol)


http://www.sugarloot.com/entry/100769686鈥?/a>


(when we took him to the vet as a puppy the vet told me he is ';Brown Dog'; lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment